Harrell Foster Care Scholarship Application
This scholarship program seeks to encourage and support Black/African American students, who are or have been in foster care, pursue higher education by offsetting tuition costs, student loans, and/or expenses; while providing a mentor to help them transition and succeed through college.
As this scholarship is offered to those associated to foster care, we adhere to the Iowa Department of Human Services’ administrative rules definition of foster care as: “Foster care” shall mean substitute care furnished on a 24-hour a-day basis to an eligible child in a licensed or approved facility by a person or agency other than the child’s parent or guardian but does not include care provided in a family home through an informal arrangement for a period of 20 days or less.
The award will be disbursed in the following way:
1st payment $1000.00 dispersed in August
2nd payment $1000.00 dispersed in January
1) Black/African American
2) Resident of the state of Iowa
3) High school or GED graduate
4) Currently or have been in foster care with verification through the Department of Human Services
1) High school transcript (if appliciable)
2) Two letters of recommendations (one must be from a teacher if applicable)
a) How long have you known the applicant?
b) In what capacity do you know the applicant?
c) Strengths you have observed.
d) Why you believe this applicant is deserving of this scholarship.
3) Typed essay (250-500 words & double spaced) including the following:
a) Describe your foster care experience.
b) Describe how events and obstacles have shaped the person you are, and how these life circumstances have influenced you to pursue higher education.
c) Why this scholarship is important to you and how it will help you pursue higher education.
Applicants awarded the scholarship must:
1) Work with assigned mentor regarding scholarship allocation
2) Provide a written recognition of gratitude for the award by June 30, 2022 (template will be provided with award letter)
3) Provide a recent photo suitable for publication
4) Provide official class schedule prior to August & January disbursements
There are two ways to complete the application:
1. Print & complete the application below (available soon) & mail or email
2. Complete the application here.
A completed application will include:
The completed and signed application form
High school transcript (if applicable)
Two letters of recommendation
Application must be submitted or postmarked by June 6th, 2022
Send completed applications to:
8406 Sharon Circle
Urbandale, Iowa, 50322
Questions: Contact LaTonya Calderon at 515- 778-6551 or firstname.lastname@example.org.