Harrell Foster Care Scholarship Application
This scholarship program seeks to encourage and support African American high school students, who are or have been in foster care, pursue higher education by offsetting tuition costs, student loans, and/or expenses; while providing a mentor to help them transition and succeed through their first year of college.
As this scholarship is offered to those associated to foster care, we adhere to the Iowa Department of Human Services’ administrative rules definition of foster care as: “Foster care” shall mean substitute care furnished on a 24-hour a-day basis to an eligible child in a licensed or approved facility by a person or agency other than the child’s parent or guardian but does not include care provided in a family home through an informal arrangement for a period of 20 days or less.
The award will be disbursed in the following way:
1st payment $1000.00 dispersed in August
2nd payment $1000.00 dispersed in January
1) African American high school senior of the current application year
2) Resident of the state of Iowa
3) Currently or have been in foster care with verification through the Department of Human Services
4) Cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher (high school transcript required)
5) Two letters of recommendations (one must be from a teacher)
6) Typed essay (250-500 words) including the following:
a) Describe your foster care experience.
b) Describe how events and obstacles have shaped the person you are, and how these life circumstances have influenced you to pursue higher education.
c) Why this scholarship is important to you and how it will help you pursue higher education.
Applicants awarded the scholarship must:
1) Work with assigned mentor regarding scholarship allocation
2) Provide a written recognition of gratitude for the award by June 1, 2019 (template will be provided with award letter)
3) Provide a recent photo suitable for publication (i.e. senior picture, cap and gown, or professional photo)
4) Attend the scholarship banquet in Des Moines, IA held Friday, August 2, 2019
5) Provide official class schedule prior to August & January disbursements
You can download Application Form below
A completed application will include:
The signed application form
High school transcript
Two letters of recommendation
Essay Application must be submitted or postmarked by Friday, May 24, 2019.
Send completed applications to:
8406 Sharon Circle
Urbandale, Iowa, 50322
Questions: Contact LaTonya Calderon at 515- 778-6551 or email@example.com.